Friday, February 12, 2010

Disability Life Coaching

Disability life coaching.  It is not a common phrase. Look it up if you want, or just read on.
   So what is it?  Who does a Disability life coach serve?  Is it someone with a physical disability?  A learning disability?  A parent of a child with a disability? In this case, it is anyone looking for help to reach goals.

You might wonder why I would chose this population when I could potentially find clients with fewer challenges.  I chose this population because I care that many disabled people come up against challenges that others do not ever think of or realize.  They can be mistreated, discriminated against, have lower self esteem than their more able peers.  There are many segments of any given population that can claim this and unfortunatly they would be right.  I chose a population I had experience with, could relate to, desired to serve, and decided to make one of my major niches disability life coaching.  Only time will tell exactly what this will entail for me.  What clients with which disabilities will I will have the honor of working with?  

It is most important to remember that people with disabilities are regular people with unique challenges and should be treated as such.  When working with disabled people it is best to let them do all they are capable of doing.  If you are unsure of their abilities simply ask would you like help instead of jumping in and doing for them what they are more than capable of doing.  Some people have a sort of fear of disabled people.  This usually stems from not knowing rather than dislike.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You already feel unsure of yourself, and then you see your worst fears in print. It really knocked me - which is why, I think, I was working, working, working, because I was trying to run away from the fact that I thought I couldn't do it. See the link below for more info.


#unsure
www.ufgop.org